Monday, March 10, 2014

Always Winter and Never Christmas

Every time I get bummed out about the length and severity of the winter this year, I make myself think about how much worse it would have been in Narnia during the reign of the White Witch. Like Faun Tumnus tells Lucy in The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, the White Witch made it so it was "always winter and never Christmas."

When the snow raged, I reminded myself that it would have been even worse in Laura Ingalls Wilder’s The Long Winter. Even though it would have been awesome to live with the Ingalls family, that winter was pretty terrible: the constant blizzards, the food shortages and twisting hay into fuel.

And when it was so cold that I got brain freeze from the icy wind, I told myself that eventually, Aslan broke the White Witch’s spell and the Long Winter ended. Santa Claus was allowed back into Narnia and the train with supplies got through to De Smet, South Dakota.


Thank goodness it’s (almost) spring.

1 comment:

  1. Reading your post about Laura Ingalls Wilder I was remembering the old PBS reality show the 1900 House and can envision you on the show. This was a tough winter but indeed we were lucky to have modern technology to make the blow of the winter less harsh. ~ Kristin (FSS '93)

    ReplyDelete