Monday, May 5, 2014

Parrots (Writing What You Know)

After nearly eighteen months, we are preparing for the departure of Pablo, the parrot we’ve been taking care of while his people are in Hong Kong.

Pablo
I’ve grown to love Pablo during our time together. Yes, I’m a sucker for animals. But Pablo is special. He’s sweet, smart and funny and the timing of some of his comments are uncanny, particularly when he laughs along with us or says a word that is the right thing to say at the right time.

Pablo says “good morning” when I uncover him in the morning and “good night” every night as we’re going to bed. Sometimes, if we have people over for dinner and he wants to go to sleep, he’ll say “good night” repeatedly until the people actually leave.

As a tribute to Pablo, I’ve decided that I’m going to write a parrot into my work in progress. The parrot, tentatively named Oliver, will play a small but pivotal role. And I will be able to draw on my experiences living with a parrot and also pay tribute to our tiny, noisy, friendly, sweet and loving companion of the past year.


No comments:

Post a Comment