Monday, May 19, 2014

Gingerscotches

I’ve always liked gingersnap cookies in the way that most people like things that they don’t feel that strongly about. A gingersnap cookie is fine but it’s never my go-to cookie. I just like cookies with chocolate better!

Gingerscotches
I have to admit, that it did cross my mind to add chocolate chips to a batch of gingersnaps more than once but I never ended up doing it. First of all, it seemed like a copout because add chocolate is often the answer to a baking conundrum for me. But more importantly, chocolate didn’t feel like the right flavor.

So I went about life, liking gingersnaps and wishing I could think of what to add to them, and then one day it happened: I ate a gingersnap with butterscotch chips. And it kind of changed my world.

I went home and spent the rest of the afternoon putting together my own version of gingersnaps with butterscotch chips. My only warning: go easy on the butterscotch chips--too many and they will overpower the gingersnap.

Gingerscotches
10 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup white sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 egg
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
½ cup butterscotch chips
½ cup sugar in the raw (optional)


Pre-heat the oven to 350.

Combine the butter and sugars in a large bowl or a stand mixer. Stir in the molasses and then egg.

Whisk the flour and other dry ingredients together and then stir them into the wet ingredients. Fold in the chips.

Scoop the dough out into balls, aiming for about two dozen cookies. If you like really, really sweet cookies, roll the balls in the sugar in the raw and then put on the cooking sheet, pressing each one gently to flatten it slightly. If you don’t like really sweet cookies, don’t use the sugar in the raw.


Bake for eight to ten minutes. Cool on the trays for about five minutes, then transfer to a wire rack. Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment