Monday, November 7, 2011

Books of Wonder

A few weeks ago I thought it would be fun to invite some of my book friends to get together to talk about publishing. Some of them are working authors, some aspiring, some work in publishing as editors while others do the marketing for books. I was trying to think of a cool, laid back place that had some connection to the industry and also served snacks. The ideal spot: the coffee shop at Books of Wonder.

It had just reopened so I decided to check it out beforehand and get some work done on my book. It was awesome. The chairs are comfortable. The music selection was cool. The cupcakes and scones are excellent. And, there was this great chalk drawing that reminded me that authors need to be "curiouser" all the time.

About a week later the girls and I got together there. We talked a lot and did a little shopping. Books of Wonder has a really nice collection of authors you won’t find at the big box stores. Just browsing gave us ideas to try out on each other. I expect this coffee shop to become a regular hang out for lots of publishing people. Who knows, maybe you’ll see an aspiring author working on her first big book there (me).

This week I’m giving away an exceptional book called Dark Eden by Patrick Carman. I loved this book because it is chock full of great ideas and uses them to discuss topics like fear, elusive achievement and memory. To win it answer one simple question: What makes your favorite bookstore so good? Don’t forget to include your email.

No comments:

Post a Comment