Monday, April 25, 2011

The Sisterhood of the Granny Pants

I had a conversation with my friend Anna, who is a pretty spectacular bike racer, about how hard it can be for female cyclists to find jeans that fit. There is no magic pair of jeans, like in the Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants, for ladies who have built the leg muscles and reduced their waist sizes. I thought the only solution was a trip to the tailor.

Anna let me in on a secret she had discovered: granny jeans. Like many great discoveries, hers was an accident in a department store a few weeks ago. I went to investigate it myself and it was definitely true – granny jeans are cut curvier. And there are many pairs of stylish granny jeans out there that don’t have elastic waistbands. I may even be wearing some as I write this.

That got me thinking about a scene in my book during which Sarah, my narrator, realizes that her body has changed after a year of racing her bike. Her jeans fit differently and, when she looks at her legs in the mirror, she realizes that the muscles in her calves and quadriceps are more defined. The change thrills her! She sees thinks her toned muscles are a visual representation of months of hard work and sacrifice.

Although I haven’t written this part yet, I think Sarah will learn how to tailor her own pants because that’s the kind of thing that a girl who is trying to live her life according to Little Women would do. Or she’ll discover the granny pants secret and tell all of her cycling friends about it. Call it the Sisterhood of the Granny Pants.

No comments:

Post a Comment