Monday, January 10, 2011

The Leading Men of 2010

The Academy Awards names the best male actor of each year. I decided to follow that tradition and name my favorite male young adult characters of 2010. My picks come from just the books I've read, not all of the books that came out last year.


1. Both Will Graysons from Will Grayson, Will Grayson by John Green and David Levithan. There are times when neither Will Grayson is very likeable and times when they are both very sympathetic characters. Levithan's Will Grayson is depressed and as a reader, I wanted to stand up and cheer him on to find his way out of it and then help him to stay happy. While Green's character is frustrating because he can't act on the very things that will make him happy, Green makes him likable enough for you to want him to get the girl of his dreams and make up with his best friend, Tiny Cooper.


2. Finnick from Mockingjay, the third book in the Hunger Games trilogy written by Suzanne Collins. Finnick was a huge surprise to me. When he first appeared in Catching Fire, the second book in the series, I thought he was a handsome, ruthless playboy. But he's actually a very brave, faithful and honest soul with a tragic story. I only wish Finnick's story had a different ending.


3. Xander from Matched by Ally Condie. Cassia Reyes, the heroine, is matched to Xander, her best friend, by their totalitarian society with the expectation that they will get married someday. Xander loves Cassia and doesn't want to lose her but he is also able to respect that she may not love him in the same way. He can also respect his rival for Cassia, Ky Markham, and behave toward him in an honorable way.


Who are your leading men and why? Let me know in the comments section below and you can win a copy of If We Kiss by Rachel Vail. Remember to leave me a way to contact you!

No comments:

Post a Comment