Monday, October 11, 2010

Blech

I was scheduled to get a flu shot today. Instead I got the flu. As my body works on immunity, I’m stoking it with chicken soup, crackers, tea and maybe a nice walk around the block this afternoon if I'm feeling better.

Last night was a tough night. I woke up at two and couldn’t fall back to sleep. I passed time by finishing Will Grayson, Will Grayson by David Levithan and John Green. I have to admit (and it wasn't the fever talking) that this book kind of blew me away. Once I started it, I read as quickly as I could just to find out what happened. Now I'm taking time to savor it, going back and seeing how it was written and try to figure out what I liked about it so much.

It wasn't just the plot, although it was a very clever one: two characters in the Chicago area are both named Will Grayson and when their paths cross unexpectedly, it has major consequences for them and for their groups of friends. I can pinpoint the moment when the book turned from being a good read into a book that I kind of loved: when Levithan's Will Grayson is setting out to meet his online boyfriend, Isaac. The tension was so high and, as a reader, I wanted so badly for it to work out for him. I was surprised at what happened next and I was definitely not disappointed.

I feel like I've been lucky as a reader lately. A lot of what I've read has turned to gold as I've been reading it and even more of it has just been a good read. What have you read lately that has blown you away?

No comments:

Post a Comment